Cook with Stanley - Spanish Omelette
One of the best features of the Stanley is the hotplate. Its large size means heat is distributed evenly to large pots and pans perfect for tortillas! and it is machine ground for maximum heat transfer to your cookware. This omelette is filled with al dente slices of potato and has a delicate saffron flavour.
- 12oz/300g waxy potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 5mm slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1medium red onion, finely sliced
- 6 medium free range eggs
- 1 roast red and 1 roast yellow pepper deseeded and cut into strips
- Pinch of saffron, steeped in 1 tablespoon of freshly boiled water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, then add the sliced potatoes and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan, around 25cm in diameter, over a medium heat. Add the potato slices and cook until golden. Remove from the pan, add the remaining oil and reduce the heat slightly.
- Add the onion and cook until soft but not coloured.
- Lightly beat the eggs, add the saffron strands along with the steeping liquid and season. Return the potato slices to the pan with the onions and peppers and stir to mix.
- Pour in the beaten eggs and cook over a low heat until set and golden on the base. Once set, loosen the tortilla around the edges with a spatula.
- Put a large plate over the pan, tip the pan upside down, so that the omelette falls on to the plate, then slide the omelette into the pan uncooked side down and cook for a further few minutes until golden.