Cook with Stanley - Helvick Fish Pie
This is comfort food at its best. The fish you use can be judged to suit the occasion and season. Use cod or salmon as the basis for the mixed fish and include mussels, prawns and monkfish or whatever fish is available at your local fishmongers.
Helvick fish pie
- 1wlb/800g mixed fish
- 12fl oz/350ml milk
- 2fl oz/50ml white wine
- 2fl oz/50ml chicken stock
- 1oz/25g butter
- 1oz/25g flour
- Bay leaf
- 3 sprigs chopped fresh dill
- 3lbs/1.3kg potatoes, butter and milk for seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Poach fish in milk with bay leaf until fish is opaque. Strain milk off fish and place fish in pie dish.
- Melt butter, add flour to make roux, add white wine and stock, whisk until mixture becomes thick. Add reserved milk and whisk until sauce thickens. Season to taste and add chopped dill. Pour sauce over fish, allow to cool.
- Steam potatoes until cooked. Mash with milk and butter until light and fluffy, season to taste. Smooth mashed potatoes over fish in pie dish. Place in preheated oven 180ºC for 15 minutes.
- This can be prepared beforehand, chilled and reheated later on that day. A perfect meal served only with a crisp green salad.