1 onion peeled and sliced
700g/1½lb parsnips, peeled and finely diced
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1.2 litres/2 pints chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper
150ml/¼pint single cream
Paprika to sprinkle when serving
1. Melt the butter in a large pan, add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the parsnips and cook gently for about 3 minutes. Add the cumin, stock and seasoning.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender. Cool slightly and puree in a food processor.
4. Return the soup to the cleaned pan, check the seasoning and reheat but do not boil. Add the cream, saving a little to swirl on each portion. At this stage if you feel the soup is a little thick add some milk.
5. When ready to serve, pour the soup into a serving bowl and swirl with the cream and sprinkle with the paprika.